Tips to Help Seniors from Slip & Fall Accidents

Slips and falls can be hazardous for anyone, but they can be particularly dangerous to seniors. In fact, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), slips and falls are responsible for over 2.8 million injuries resulting in emergency room visit every year for seniors over the age of 65. This includes more than 800,000 injuries that require hospitalization and 27,000 that result in death. In other words, this means a senior ends up in the emergency room every 11 seconds due to a slip and fall. In addition to that, a senior dies every 19 minutes because of a slip and fall.

The CDC also reports on medical costs. The total cost for injuries related to a slip and fall was roughly $50 million in 2015.  Of this, Medicare or Medicaid covered 75%. For seniors and their loved ones, this means the families needed to pay for the remaining 25% of medical bills relating to a slip and fall injury.

Tips to Keep Seniors Safe

Preventative steps can help keep seniors safe from slips and falls. This is true whether a senior is at home, out shopping or even in a nursing home.

  • Regular exercise, for example, can help prevent muscles from weakening. This can include simple exercises, such as regularly walking, swimming or dancing.
  • Keeping floors free of clutter and well lit is also important as it can prevent tripping. This includes keeping walkways free from electrical cords, toys, shoes and bunched rugs.
  • Cleaning up spills is also important as they can create unsafe walking conditions.
  • If you or your loved one suffers from shakes, a cane or walker may be useful. Using rails and grab bars are also important.
  • Be sure to check medications. Because many seniors use multiple medications to address health concerns, these mixtures can lead to sudden dizziness or drowsiness. Make sure to take it easy until you know how these medications will interact and affect you.
  • Hearing loss and visual impairments can also lead to slips and falls. Make sure to have both checked annually to ensure any issues are caught before they create slip and fall hazards.

Contact Houma Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers

Unfortunately, even the best measures cannot prevent all accidents. Should you slip and fall, you may need the help of a personal injury attorney. Because these incidents can result in hefty medical bills, severe and permanent injuries, and ongoing pain and suffering, experienced slip & fall accident lawyers are the best way to ensure you are appropriately compensated.

The personal injury attorneys at Waitz & Downer understand how crippling a slip and fall can be – physically, emotionally and financially. Whether you are a senior who has suffered from a slip and fall, or a loved one responsible for an aging loved one, we can help. To schedule a consultation with one of our slip & fall accident lawyers, contact us today.