You, as a pedestrian, have a right to safety from being injured by a motorized vehicle or bicycle when you are walking, jogging, or standing near roadways or intersections. Unfortunately, there are drivers that do not take the necessary precautions or follow the rules of driving to safeguard pedestrians from accident and/or injury. If you are involved in a pedestrian accident with a vehicle, motorcycle, or bicyclist, the attorneys with Waitz & Downer serving Houma, Thibodaux, and Baton Rouge, LA, can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact Waitz and Downer today at (985) 876-0870 to begin fighting for the compensation you deserve for your injury.
Do I Have the Right to File a Case as a Pedestrian?
Many pedestrians wrongly believe that they hold a portion of the responsibility when they are injured by a vehicle or bicycle. It is not uncommon for attorneys to hear a pedestrian say that he or she should have been more aware of their surroundings, thereby avoiding the auto accident. As a pedestrian, you are afforded the same rights as vehicle when it comes to having the “right of way.” That being said, vehicles are required to defer the right of way to a pedestrian should they both arrive at an intersection at the same time.
Over the years, local police departments, with the support of the judicial system, have recognized an increasing need to protect the safety of every pedestrian due to the serious nature of injuries commonly sustained from minimal amounts of force involved. As such, it has become the responsibility of the driver, not the pedestrian, to make the necessary adjusts to avoid a collision with a pedestrian. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you must seek immediate counsel from a proven accident lawyer that can assist you with your legal case. The experienced team of Waitz and Downer can answer any questions you may have about your pedestrian accident and guide you in your legal proceedings.
What Steps Should Take When You Have Been Involved in a Pedestrian Accident?
If you are physically able, there are certain steps you should follow when you’ve been involved in a pedestrian accident:
- Call 911 immediately or have a bystander call on your behalf.
- Explain to the police officers in as much detail as possible what you recall of the accident.
- Once the ambulance arrives, allow the EMT technicians to assess your level of injury and provide permission to be transported to an area hospital, if deemed necessary.
- As soon as possible, contact a skilled personal injury attorney, such as those with Waitz and Downer. If you do not feel well enough to initiate the call yourself, have a family member or friend make the call for you. It is important to obtain legal counsel at the earliest opportunity as your condition may worsen.
- Focus on healing, while your legal team works to get you the compensation you deserve.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in or around Baton Rouge, Houma, or Thibodaux, LA, the law office of Waitz & Downer has the combined experience and skill to prepare for and serve in all related court proceedings to ensure the best compensatory outcome for your case. Contact our friendly, informative staff today at (985) 876-0870 to schedule a free initial consultation so that we may examine the details of your case.