Why You Should Establish A Living Will Today
A last will and testament is critical for ensuring your affairs are managed according to your wishes after your death, but what about the end of your life? A living will is a document that allows people to clearly outline their wishes for end-of-life medical care in case they become unable to communicate their needs and preferences.
Here are five reasons why you should establish a living will today:
- Gives you a degree of control over your end-of-life medical care. By describing in detail your wishes for end-of-life medical care in a living will, you retain a degree of agency even when you are no longer able to communicate your decisions.
- Provide your family the assurance of knowing that your personal choices are being honored and respected. The time surrounding your death is likely to be a difficult one for your family, but a living will can make it easier. A living will alleviates your loved ones of the emotional burden of making decisions regarding your medical care; it states your wishes when you can no longer do so.
- Provide your physician with guidelines as to how to act in your best interests even when you’re no longer able to make or communicate your own decisions. Be sure to review your living will with your primary physician before it’s necessary, as your physician may have ethical or religious reservations about certain choices you’ve made in the document. Confirm that your physician is willing to adhere to your wishes to ensure that you won’t be transferred to another doctor for end-of-life care.
- A living will is a critical part of a complete estate plan. Creating a complete estate plan with a lawyer allows you to make the most of the rest of your life, knowing that your death will be handled according to your wishes.
- Allow yourself to prepare for the unpredictability of life. Drawing up a living will can’t prevent accidents, injury or old age, but it can mitigate the emotional stress of unpredictable and difficult circumstances.
Be ready for anything that life throws at you by drafting your living will today with one of Waitz & Downers excellent lawyers. . If you’re in the Houma, LA area, contact Waitz & Downer at 985-876-0870 to begin the process of establishing a living will.