Drunk Driver Accident Statistics
Being involved in a drunk driving accident is no laughing matter. Every time a person gets behind the wheel after consuming alcohol, he or she is putting not only his or her own life at risk, but the risk of countless others on the road. The following statistics are a sobering wake-up call to the seriousness and danger of driving under the influence.
- According to the CDC, 9,967 people were killed in 2014 alone as a result of alcohol-related car crashes. That is nearly one-third of all traffic-related deaths in the United States that year.
- In 2014, over 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. However, that is only one percent of the 121 million alcohol-or-substance-impaired driving episodes that are self-reported by U.S. adults each year. This means 99% of intoxicated drivers are not arrested for their dangerous impaired driving behavior. (CDC)
- MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) states on its website that, on average, two out of three people will be involved in a drunk driving accident in their lifetime.
- 50 to 75 percent of convicted drunk drivers continue driving with a suspended license, regardless of their court order. (MADD)
- According to MADD, the rate of drunk driving is at its highest among adults aged 26-29, at a whopping 20.7 percent.
- In 2014, 209 passengers age 11 and under were killed in alcohol-related car crashes. Of those children, over half (116) were passengers in the vehicle of the impaired driver. (CDC)
- An average drunk driver has driven while impaired over 80 times before his/her first arrest. (MADD)
Waltz & Downer urges you to drink responsibly and coordinate with a designated driver or transportation service if you are going to be using alcohol. A little advanced planning can save lives, including your own!
If you have recently been involved in an accident with an impaired driver and need a car accident attorney in the Thibodaux, LA area, contact Waltz & Downer today for a free legal consultation. We will let you know how to proceed with your case and assist you with all legal counsel you need to receive what you deserve in court. We are committed to making sure you are properly compensated for the pain and expense of being involved in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. Contact Waltz & Downer today for legal advice from an experienced car accident attorney.