Am I Liable if Somebody Slips and Falls on My Property?

Am I Liable if Somebody Slips and Falls on My Property | Personal Injury Attorney Houma LA | Waitz & DownerUnderstanding your liability if someone slips and falls on your property requires the legal assistance of professionals with extensive experience in personal injury cases. In Louisiana, there are specific laws that govern your liability as a property owner when someone is injured while on your property.

At Waitz & Downer in Houma, LA, we understand the stress you experience when there is an accident on your property and seek to assist you in determining whether you can be held responsible for the incident and resulting injuries. To accurately assess whether you can be held liable for the slip and fall accident, your case will need to be evaluated by our personal injury attorneys of Waitz & Downer. For a free case evaluation, contact Waitz and Downer in Houma by calling (985) 876-0870.

Slip and Fall Accidents

To shed some light on these types of cases, here is important information concerning slip and fall accidents in Louisiana:

  • If a trespassing party was 18 years or older or determined to be of adult age at the time of the incident, you cannot be held liable for any injuries sustained during the criminal trespass.
  • If the party is deemed to be a minor at the time of the trespass and objects or features of your property tempted the minor to trespass onto your property, a premises liability case can be filed against you.
  • If you invited the party to your property by personal invitation or by having a business that is open to the public, you may in fact be held liable for the slip and fall accident.
  • If your employee was injured in a slip and fall accident on your premises, your company may be held liable for damages incurred depending upon the circumstances surrounding the event.
  • For most cases, except those in which the injured party was incapacitated or died as a result of injury, the injured party or those representing the injured party have one year from the date of the accident to file a premises liability case.

Personal Injury Attorneys in Houma LA

To receive justice and fair compensation for a slip and fall accident, you must hire a competent and highly trained personal injury attorney to defend your rights or the rights of a loved one. For a free case evaluation, contact the personal injury lawyer of Waitz & Downer in Houma, LA, by calling (985) 876-0870 and let us get started on your case today!