6 Tips to Help You Choose a Business Lawyer That’s Right For You
When you are starting a new business or revamping an old one – finding a new business lawyer may be the last thing on your mind. It’s a pain, it’s hard and it’s no fun. But there are a few tips to help you choose the perfect business lawyer that’s right for you – if you know where to look.
- A business lawyer can have specific specialties. Are you looking for a patent attorney, tax attorney, employment law attorney or simply a general attorney? Before you start looking, know what you are looking for so you’ll know when you’ve found it. It sounds simple, but it will help you narrow the list down.
- Choose an attorney with experience. Established business attorneys and firms can add a lot of value from their experience and even sometimes from networking.
- Where are they from? How long have the practiced law in the state? Do they specialize in your state or in multiple states? If they have passed the bar in multiple states, then where do they practice the most?
- Look for an attorney with the availability that you are looking for. Do you need help with issues only one or two times per year? Do you need a registered agent? Are you looking for someone to draw up documents? If you need a lot of hours, make sure that the business lawyer has the right fit of time available for your needs.
- Network! Your business friends and colleagues can recommend business lawyers that have worked and haven’t worked for them in the past. They can be a great resource when it comes to finding a business lawyer.
- After you’ve done your research, meet with your perspective attorneys in person. I had someone that I thought would be perfect on paper. When I went to meet with her she was late to the appointment, her office had overpowering scented candles and two cats lived there – meaning the office furniture was totally covered in cat hair. On paper – we were a good fit. In reality, I chose another business attorney.
Business Lawyers Serving Houma, LA
The business attorneys at Waitz & Downer are here to assist you with the needs of your business. We offer business advice to business owners in and around Houma, LA and surrounding areas. If you would like to learn more about our business services, contact Waitz & Downer today for a free consultation.