5 Legal Issues Your Business Could Face
Running a business is complex, demanding and rewarding. You need to make sure that your business is compliant on many legal levels. Over 50% of small businesses face legal problems over the course of their existence. It is your responsibility as a business owner to be aware of all the legal issues your business could potentially face to protect you and your assets.
Here are five legal issues your business could face and how to prevent them:
- Customers who are dissatisfied. Even if you provide the most stellar customer service, there may still be customers who are unhappy. It is in the best interest for your company to be proactive and communicate frequently with customers to prevent litigation.
- Audits for immigration. It may seem like common sense, but make sure to perform background checks all of your employees to confirm they are legally able to work in the United States. The U.S. Government can perform surprise immigration audits and you want to be prepared.
- Harassment/discrimination cases. Starting with your hiring process, make sure to keep detailed records for all applicants in case allegations of discrimination are brought forth. Conduct trainings for staff to ensure everyone is on the same page to prevent harassment. Make sure you have a well-trained HR and legal team to handle any issues that arise.
- Patent and copyright issues. If your business deals with technology, you may come up against patent litigation. Have your development and research team go over copyright and patents for your products to make sure you are covered in case a competitor starts litigation.
- Disgruntled employees. This is one of the most common legal issues you will run into as a business owner. Employees in the United States have many more rights than employees in other countries. Makes sure you have an attorney craft clear termination forms for employees who are on their way out to close the door on possible litigation.
Business Lawyers Serving Thibodaux, LA
The business attorneys at Waitz & Downer are here to assist you with the needs of your business. We offer business advice to business owners in and around Thibodaux, LA and surrounding areas. If you would like to learn more about our business services, contact Waitz & Downer today for a free consultation.